Monday, October 19, 2009

Week Four: A Little Discouraged.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed by a psychologist with Seasonal Affective Depressive Disorder (SADD). This means that during the year when it's darker, cloudier, and has all-around less light, I show signs and symptoms of depression. I sleep more, eat more carbs (making my diet difficult when all I want is ravioli with alfredo sauce), get more sensitive than usual, and under stress I crack really easily. I mean, my Italian boss yelling at me to GO FASTER results in my eyes tearing up and going slower than usual. It's one of the reasons why I'm so passionate about snowboarding. It really helps.

A lot of people show mild symptoms of this, but mine are severe enough that sometimes warrent seeing a psychologist.

Why am I telling you this? It's because the past few days have been raining. Since Thursday the weather has been less than satisfactory. And because it's October, the days are getting shorter. My last week didn't go so well. When I had the oppertunity to clean my room, I slept on my couch. I couldn't stop swearing, especially talking to my friends. So neither of my goals were completed, but I'm hoping to do better this week.

Goal Number 5: Successfully write and deliver a five minute speech for Human Communications 101.
I have to present my speech on Wednesday, right before Ben does. I'm delivering it on How To Dress For Snowboarding, a topic I am VERY familiar with. I'm actually excited. Plus, I'm going first, so I don't have any time to sit there and think about how nervous I am.

Goal Number 7: Spend at least three hundred dollars at one time on myself.
I got my financial aid check! I'm going to deposit it later and then go shopping. I never spend any money on myself without buying something for someone else at the same time. I mean, last time I went shopping (with my boyfriend's brother who was shopping for his girlfriend's, my friend Lis's, birthday) I walked away with spending nothing on myself and fifty bucks on a sweatshirt for Ben. I suppose I compensated for Nick, who spent almost 300$ on himself and only 150$ on Lis. So my goal is to spend money on ME ME ME ME ME. I deserve to be selfish every once in awhile, don't I?

Wish me luck. Weather forecast says sun, so it's going to be better! It has to be. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm familiar with SADD. From what I understand, Northerners tend to suffer from this more than us Southerners do. This might have to do with all the snowy/blizzard-y weather you guys have up there. My first year in Boston, I remember feeling very lethargic and down, and I couldn't figure out why. My friend from Arizona felt the same way. We then both found out that we were suffering from a mild form of SADD, which probably hit us a bit harder because where we come from, there's a heckuva lot of sunshine. (I'm from Texas)

    So I hope you feel better! It sucks having the weather affect your mood so much because there's not really anything you can do to fix it.

    Go ahead and spend some money on yourself! I know I do quite often, haha! ;) After all, it's YOUR money, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh, he spent THAT much! What did he buy her?

    ReplyDelete